Glinton & Peakirk Green Group
Aims and StrategyThe aims of the recently formed Glinton & Peakirk Green Programme are to coordinate, explore and encourage sustainable living as it could apply to Glinton, Peakirk and the surrounding villages by:
- Encouraging greater energy efficiency in the community.
- Encouraging resource efficiency – particularly non renewable fuels.
- Providing an opportunity for green issues to be debated.
- Exploring the most suitable technologies for our community.
- Acting as a central contact point for energy & green issues.
- Trying to influence local and regional planning and decisionmaking.
- Providing support to people in the area to save energy/resources and lower their bills.
The strategy is to concentrate on long term major projects in parallel to modest more and easily achievable initiatives. - Already a number of options are being considered:
- Intelligent street lighting that will provide light only when required
- Improve community facilities such as Peakirk village hall & Glinton swimming pool by improving energy efficiency.
- Monitor villages total electricity and gas usage to determine how effective energy efficiency measures are.
- Community micro heat and electrical generation through the anaerobic digestion of food, green and farm waste.
- Widespread use of wind turbines, solar PV, solar thermal and ground/air Heatpumps
- Improve public transport usage.
- Local Eco Car Share / Hire.
- Safe routes to school – reduce school runs.
- Community recycling for non PCC recyclable product such as plastics.
- Provision of allotment
- Plant swap
- Glinton Green Fair
Further info is available from David Cowcill the leader of the group